Thursday, October 11, 2012

Mark Twain

      I love reading books by Mark Twain he just rights beautifully.  He paints the most wonderful scenaries for all his books.  For example in the story "Pudd'nhead Wilson" the way he describes every little detail of this small time is just wonderful.  I felt like I wanted to go there and see more myself what he saw.  If I could visit those the many towns Twain described in his novels I would just for a few minutes to be able to see the same wonders he does. So here i a little something he wrote about the town Dawson's Landing "In 1830 it was a snug little collection of modes one and two story frame dwellings... Each of these pretty homes had a garden in front fenced with white palings and opulently stocked with hollyhocks, marigolds, touch-me-nots..." (Twain 21).  He goes on how to get there and just paints a scenary unlike any other author.  Can we say Twain is just a grate story teller.  Even his characters are described to perfection and the way they are introduced I almost felt like I was really meeting them.  For the time this novel is written it is a very nice read.  It is easy to understand and take it in for what it is.
      One thing that impressed me was that this is one of his novels he wrote in a hurry because he needed that money.  I am so surprised that he would take such care with writing about the scenery.  Though it is small it gets its point across with such beauty.  I really admire Twain's ability to write like that.  I don't think I could ever write such wonderful pieces in such a small time frame.  So bravo to Twain and to does authors who were able to make a masterpiece.  

2 comments:

  1. Cecilia, we should be discussing that exact passage on Tuesday. Twain does have a great power of description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely. Twain’s descriptions suck you into the story and the world he’s creating, without spending too long on unimportant details. His descriptions of both the town and the characters make it easy and enjoyable to read. He also comes up with extremely interesting characters. They have so many layers to their personalities, but at the same time are not too overwhelming or confusing. I love Twain’s style of writing, and reading Pudd’nhead Wilson has made me want to read more of his novels.

    ReplyDelete